ART offers a wide range of fares for a variety of needs. Fares can be paid with a SmarTrip card, 7-Day Regional Bus Pass (loaded on a SmarTrip card), or cash. If you ride ART and Metrobus on a regular basis, you may consider purchasing a 7-Day Regional Bus Pass, available at The Commuter Store, which offers convenience and savings.
Regular Fare $2.00
- Payment types: SmarTrip® card or cash
- Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington employees with hospital ID ride free on ART 51 and ART 52 only
- Free transfers for two hours with SmarTrip card
Acceptable Cash Fare:
- Coins: Nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, dollar coins
- Bills: $1, $2, $5, $10
- No change is available on ART buses
- No refunds or exchanges on fares
Where to Buy SmarTrip Cards and Passes
- SmarTrip cards are available at The Commuter Store®, Mobile Commuter Store, or online at CommuterDirect.com®
- SmarTrip cards are available at all Metrorail stations and online from WMATA.
- SmarTrip cards and passes can also be purchased at select CVS pharmacies and Giant Food stores. Search for a location near you.
Purchase SmarTrip Card Online From CommuterDirect.com
Reload SmarTrip Card Online
Children Under Five Ride Free
- Free ride for all children under five
Virginia Hospital Center Employees
- Virginia Hospital Center employees with hospital ID ride Free on ART 51 and ART 52 ONLY
- The fare for Senior citizens and people with disabilities with a Senior SmarTrip card or proper ID is $1.00. The discounted fare will automatically be charged to the Senior/Disabled SmarTrip card. Senior citizens can also show any ID that shows their date of birth or a Medicare card.
- Payment types
- Senior SmarTrip Card (The discounted fare will automatically be charged
- Senior citizens paying by cash can also show any ID that shows their date of birth, or a Medicare card
Persons With Disabilities Ride Free
- Free ride with a MetroAccess Photo ID Card
iRide Student Discount
- Arlington County elementary, middle and high school students receive a $1.00 discounted fare when paying with cash or using a Student iRide SmarTrip card. Students must have a school ID if paying by cash.
- More about iRide
Customers using SmarTrip cards get free or discounted transfers within a two-hour time period between ART buses, Metrobuses and Metrorail. Discounts are:
- Transferring from ART to Metrorail or Metrorail to ART: 50 cent discount
- Transferring from ART to ART or ART to/from Metrobus: Free
- Transfers from Fairfax County, Loudoun County, DASH, OmniRide and DC Circulator may require an additional fare.