ART offers a wide range of fares for a variety of needs. Fares can be paid with a SmarTrip card, 7-Day Regional Bus Pass (loaded on a SmarTrip card), or cash. If you ride ART and Metrobus on a regular basis, you may consider purchasing a 7-Day Regional Bus Pass, available at The Commuter Store, which offers convenience and savings.
Regular Fare $2.00
- Payment types: SmarTrip® card or cash
- Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington employees with hospital ID ride free on ART 51 and ART 52 only
- Free transfers for two hours with SmarTrip card
Acceptable Cash Fare:
- Coins: Nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, dollar coins
- Bills: $1, $2, $5, $10
- No change is available on ART buses
- No refunds or exchanges on fares
Where to Buy SmarTrip Cards and Passes
- SmarTrip cards are available at The Commuter Store®, Mobile Commuter Store, or online at CommuterDirect.com®
- SmarTrip cards are available at all Metrorail stations and online from WMATA.
- SmarTrip cards and passes can also be purchased at select CVS pharmacies and Giant Food stores. Search for a location near you.
**ART Fare Free Rush Promotion**
- From October 2 to January 31, inbound buses during the morning rush and outbound buses during the evening rush will be free for all routes. Consult the table below to see when free rides will be available for your bus route. Skip the driving, save money on gas and tolls, and get to your destination stress-free. Visit ARTFareFreeRush.com to learn more about routes and times for your fare-free trip.
Purchase SmarTrip Card Online From CommuterDirect.com
Reload SmarTrip Card Online
Children Under Five Ride Free
- Free ride for all children under five
Virginia Hospital Center Employees
- Virginia Hospital Center employees with hospital ID ride Free on ART 51 and ART 52 ONLY
- The fare for Senior citizens and people with disabilities with a Senior SmarTrip card or proper ID is $1.00. The discounted fare will automatically be charged to the Senior/Disabled SmarTrip card. Senior citizens can also show any ID that shows their date of birth or a Medicare card.
- Payment types
- Senior SmarTrip Card (The discounted fare will automatically be charged
- Senior citizens paying by cash can also show any ID that shows their date of birth, or a Medicare card
Persons With Disabilities Ride Free
- Free ride with a MetroAccess Photo ID Card
iRide Student Discount
- Arlington County students enrolled in K-12 are eligible for student transit discounts with a Student iRide SmarTrip card.
- More about iRide
Customers using SmarTrip cards get free or discounted transfers within a two-hour time period between ART buses, Metrobuses and Metrorail. Discounts are:
- Transferring from ART to Metrorail or Metrorail to ART: 50 cent discount
- Transferring from ART to ART or ART to/from Metrobus: Free
- Transfers from Fairfax County, Loudoun County, DASH, OmniRide and DC Circulator may require an additional fare.