ART Takes Precautions, Prepares for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
March 06, 2020
Arlington Transit (ART) has continued to monitor reports from the County’s Health Department and CDC regarding the risk regarding the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). On February 28, Arlington Transit began devising plans to address concerns associated with any potential outbreak.
ART’s service provider has taken the following steps to keep passengers safe:
- Educate bus operators on the virus and the need to wash hands regularly and properly.
- Distribute hand sanitizers for each employee.
- Install hand sanitizer dispensers at all facility entrances.
- Deep clean and sanitize all buses thoroughly at the end of each night by using approved disinfectant to wipe down all stanchions, hand rails, passenger seats, windows and all components in the driver’s area.
- Review cleaning protocols and encourage good personal hygiene habits
While ART is taking these steps, we must emphasize that the most effective ways to prevent disease spread are things you do yourself. We strongly encourage everyone to follow these recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- If you're experiencing symptoms and have traveled to areas of concern (or have been in contact with someone who has), call ahead to your health-care provider before you go in person.
ART will continue to monitor COVID-19-related developments and take appropriate action in consultation with Arlington County, State, and Regional public health authorities.
Visit the CDC web site for more information.
Visit Arlington County's web site for information from the Arlington County Public Health Division.
About User Comments
The User Comments form is a way to share your thoughts with other visitors to this page. If you have a comment or question for Arlington Transit staff, please contact Arlington Transit.
Comments posted here will be published on this page after approval. A valid email address is required to post a comment. Your email address will not be displayed, or used for any purpose except to contact you about your comment or question.