Regional Transit News
- Worker on Purple Line rail project hit by crane
A worker on Maryland’s Purple Line construction project was injured Friday when he was hit by a crane on a work site in downtown Silver Spring, a project spokeswoman said.
Katherine Shaver, December 6, 2019, Washington Post
- Metro shows six "fantasy maps" for the Blue and Silver lines
Now, they have some ideas for riders to weigh in on.
David Alpert, December 6, 2019, GGWash
- New Amtrak trains to stimulate US economy
The newest Amtrak train, Acela, is a joint project between Amtrak and Alstom, and now, the pair are lauding what the machine will be able to do for the U.S. economy.
Chris Galford, December 6, 2019, Transportation Today
- Close to 40,000 Va. bus riders affected by two labor disputes
Tens of thousands of bus riders in northern Virginia have to come up with new ways to get to work thanks to a labor dispute.
John Henry, December 5, 2019, WUSA9
- Fairfax Connector strike illustrates widening rift over privatization of public services
A strike by hundreds of Fairfax Connector workers, impacting the commutes of an estimated 30,000 Northern Virginia bus riders, illustrates the growing fight over the privatization of public services.
Justin George, Antonio Olivo, December 5, 2019, Washington Post
- OmniRide announces major service changes beginning Dec. 9
OmniRide will make the largest service changes in its history on Monday, Dec. 9. Changes include revised timetables for all express routes, a complete restructuring of bus services in western Prince William County and the first-ever paratransit service in the Manassas area, according to a news release.
December 5, 2019, Inside NoVa
- Metro is saving money during Northern Virginia bus strike
Six weeks into a Metrobus strike at a privatized garage in Northern Virginia, Metro now says it has been paying its contractor only for the reduced service that is actually running.
Max Smith, December 5, 2019, WTOP
- Fairfax Connector strike enters 2nd day
Routes that are running Friday on a Sunday schedule are: 151, 171, 310, 321, 322, 401, 402, 630, 640, 650, 950, 981, 983, RIBS 1 and RIBS 3. All other Fairfax Connector routes are canceled until further notice.
Colleen Kelleher, December 6, 2019, WTOP
- Metrorail weekend service adjustments, Dec. 7-8
Wiehle-Reston East station will be closed again this weekend.
December 6, 2019, WMATA
- Metro releases six concepts for Rosslyn bottleneck
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority has come up with a multiple choice solution for the Gordian Knot that is the Rosslyn tunnel bottle neck.
Jonathan Capriel, December 5, 2019, WBJ
- Fairfax Connector strike disrupts morning commutes
It’s unclear how long this strike will last. Another WMATA bus strike, which also involves private contractor Transdev, has gone on for 44 days.
Jordan Pascale, December 5, 2019, WAMU
- Prince George's, Baltimore business groups support maglev rail project in Md.
Four Maryland chambers of commerce representing about 1,500 businesses threw their support behind a proposed high-speed magnetic levitating train — saying the multibillion-dollar project will be "transformative" for the Washington-Baltimore corridor because it will create thousands of jobs.
Holden Wilen, December 4, 2019, WBJ
- Legislation would mandate seat belts on new Va. school buses
School districts across the commonwealth would be required to ensure that all new school buses have seat belts for every student, under legislation proposed for the 2020 General Assembly.
December 4, 2019, Inside NoVa
- Metro to abandon water line that flooded Pentagon Metro
Metro will be unable to fix a supply pipe that caused a flood of water and a ceiling collapse at the Pentagon Metro station during rush hour on the day before Thanksgiving, the agency said Thursday.
Max Smith, December 4, 2019, WTOP
- Fairfax Connector workers to strike Thursday, but some routes will run
Most routes won’t run, but others will run on a Sunday schedule, according to Fairfax County.
Jordan Pascale, December 4, 2019, WAMU
- Fairfax Connector workers go on strike Thursday
The bus strike, impacting an estimated 30,000 riders daily, is the second in Northern Virginia.
Justin George, December 5, 2019, Washington Post
- Santa to visit King St. Trolley next week
On Saturday, Dec. 14, Santa is scheduled to make an appearance at a King Street Trolley parked outside City Hall (301 King Street).
Vernon Miles, December 4, 2019, ALX Now
- USDOT proposes nationwide adoption of highway-rail grade crossing action plans
In an effort to improve safety at highway-rail grade crossings, the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) recently published a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) that would require all states and the District of Columbia to implement crossing action plans.
Chris Galford, December 4, 2019, Transportation Today
- Man dies after being struck by Metro train overnight at Capitol Heights station
Investigators report a review of video evidence indicates that he intentionally placed himself in the path of the train.
December 4, 2019, WJLA
- Northern Va. bus strike talks resume with threat of broader disruption
With thousands of commuters stranded for six weeks, and tens of thousands more people in Fairfax County on edge about losing their rides, negotiations resume Wednesday over contracts for hundreds of Northern Virginia bus drivers and other workers.
Max Smith, December 4, 2019, WTOP
- Circulator's Winter Wonder Bus is back
The regular red D.C. Circulator bus has transformed once again into a festive ride called the Winter Wonder Bus.
Selam Berhea, December 3, 2019, dcist
- Fairfax Connector strike could affect 30,000 passengers
Unionized bus workers in Fairfax County are threatening a strike this week that could leave 30,000 Fairfax Connector passengers without a ride.
Jordan Pascale, December 3, 2019, WAMU
- Is MARC's newest plan to improve service a step backwards?
The MARC Cornerstone Plan lays out how the country’s ninth-largest commuter rail system aims to increase ridership and improve reliability and service.
Alex Holt, December 3, 2019, GGWash
- The legit pros and cons of a monorail on I-270
Maryland will officially study a proposal to build a monorail along I-270, from Shady Grove to Frederick. Let’s examine whether that’s a crazy idea, or if monorail is a legitimate and practical possibility.
Dan Malouff, December 3, 2019, GGWash
- How area leaders are planning for 1.5 million new residents over next 25 years
The number of people expected to move to the D.C. area in the next 25 years is equal to the entire population of Philadelphia, and plans are in the works to prevent the anticipated addition of 1.5 million residents from worsening the region’s gridlock.
Kristi King, December 1, 2019, WTOP
- Man rescued after falling on Metro tracks
A man had luck on his side while he waited for a Metro train to arrive Friday.
Laura Wainman, November 29, 2019, WUSA9
- Groundbreaking scheduled next month for Potomac Yard Metro
With construction back on track for the Potomac Yard Metro station, the city has scheduled a groundbreaking ceremony early next month.
Vernon Miles, November 27, 2019, ALX Now
- Apple Maps app now displays Metro service in real time
iPhone users can finally view real-time Metro information in Apple Maps, the transit agency announced Tuesday.
Andrew Giambrone, November 26, 2019, Curbed
- What's the future of Arlington County's US Route 29?
Arlington county wants to overhaul US Route 29, a vital corridor that serves as North Arlington’s main street. The project is in the early stages, and there’s a lot of opportunity for residents to shape how it unfolds.
D. Taylor Reich, November 27, 2019, GGWash
- Commuter rail industry continues toward positive train control implementation
The latest report from the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) touts near-completion of Positive Train Control (PTC) technology among the U.S. commuter rail industry.
Chris Galford, November 27, 2019, Transportation Today