Student iRide SmarTrip Card
The Student SmarTrip Card makes it easier for Arlington elementary, middle and high students to get around.
Why Get a Student SmarTrip Card?
It Saves Money. Starting August 29, 2022 ART bus rides are free with the card.
It's Easy. It's just like a regular SmarTrip card that works on ART, Metrobus and Metrorai and other regional transit systems that accept SmarTrip cards.
It's Convenient. If you add value to your Student iRide SmarTrip Card, you don't have to worry about carrying cash when riding Metrobus, Metrorail or other transit systems that use SmarTrip.
How to Get a Student SmarTrip Card
Arlington students in grades K - 12 can get a Student iRide SmarTrip card at any Commuter Store with locations in Ballston, Rosslyn, Crystal City, Pentagon and Shirlington, or the Mobile Commuter Store which makes regularly scheduled stops throughout Arlington. (PLEASE NOTE: As of October 6, 2022, the Commuter Stores do not have iRide SmarTrip cards. Middle and high schools have iRide SmarTrip cards available for distribution.) Middle and high school students can get the card from their Transportation Coordinator (TC) located onsite at their middle or high school. Students must get the card in person, complete the registration form (see below) and show their student ID (if applicable) when getting the card.
Registration Form (PDF) -- The Student iRide SmarTrip card must be registered to the student when receiving it. Print and fill out the registration form ahead of time and bring it with you to the Commuter Store or your middle or high school location to make getting the card quicker and easier.
Have questions? Check out the iRide SmarTrip Card FAQ for more info.
Terms & Conditions
- Students must be an Arlington County resident of elementary, middle or high school age to get the card.
- The card is good until the student graduates from high school. The bearer is subject to being carded by authorized transit employees or police. If carded, presentation of a student ID, with proof of age, must be produced on demand.
- One card per student.
- Card must be registered to the student at the time of receiving it.
- Card must be tapped on the farebox for bus entry.
- Card cannot be exchanged for cash. If lost, stolen or inoperable, remaining values will be transferred to a replacement card that may be purchased.
- The iRide free fare is only available on ART – Arlington Transit buses.
- Stored value may be used on other regional transit systems and Metrorail.
- Card must remain in possession of registrant. Card must not be given to family or friends.
- When used on Metrorail, card is used for both entry and exit if stored value is on card.
- SmarTrip contains sensitive electronics, do not bend, perforate or expose to extreme temperatures.
- For information about SmarTrip or to report a problem with your card, please call 1-888-762-7874 (TDD: 1-703-620-8782).
- If found, please return to: Arlington Transit, 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 900, Arlington VA 22201
- SmarTrip logo is a registered trademark of WMATA.