Student iRide SmarTrip Card
The Student SmarTrip Card makes it easier for Arlington elementary, middle and high students to get around.
Why Get a Student SmarTrip Card?
It Saves Money. ART bus rides are free with the iRide SmarTrip card Please note: After April 30, 2023, if a student does not have an iRide SmarTrip card they will be charged $1.00 cash to ride ART.
It's Easy. It's just like a regular SmarTrip card that works on ART, Metrobus and Metrorai and other regional transit systems that accept SmarTrip cards.
It's Convenient. If you add value to your Student iRide SmarTrip Card, you don't have to worry about carrying cash when riding Metrobus, Metrorail or other transit systems that use SmarTrip.
How to Get a Student SmarTrip Card
Arlington students in grades K - 12 can get a Student iRide SmarTrip card at any Commuter Store with locations in Ballston, Rosslyn, Crystal City, and Shirlington, or the Mobile Commuter Store which makes regularly scheduled stops throughout Arlington. APS students can get the card from their Transportation Coordinator (TC) located onsite at their school. Students must get the card in person, complete the registration form (see below) and show their student ID (if applicable) when getting the card.
Registration Form (PDF) -- The Student iRide SmarTrip card must be registered to the student when receiving it. Print and fill out the registration form ahead of time and bring it with you to the Commuter Store or your middle or high school location to make getting the card quicker and easier.
Have questions? Check out the iRide SmarTrip Card FAQ for more info.
Terms & Conditions
- Students must be an Arlington County resident of elementary, middle or high school age to get the card.
- The card is good until the student graduates from high school. The bearer is subject to being carded by authorized transit employees or police. If carded, presentation of a student ID, with proof of age, must be produced on demand.
- One card per student.
- Card must be registered with WMATA when the student receives it.
- Card must be tapped on the farebox for bus entry.
- Card cannot be exchanged for cash. If lost, stolen or inoperable, remaining values will be transferred to a replacement card that can be purchased for $2.00 at a Commuter Store..
- The iRide free fare is only available on ART – Arlington Transit buses.
- Stored value may be used on other regional transit systems and Metrorail.
- Card can only be used by the student registrant. Card cannot be used by family or friends.
- When used on Metrorail, card is used for both entry and exit only if stored value is on card.
- SmarTrip contains sensitive electronics, do not bend, perforate or expose to extreme temperatures.
- For information about SmarTrip or to report a problem with your card, please call 1-888-762-7874 (TDD: 1-703-620-8782).
- If found, please return to: Arlington Transit, 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 900, Arlington VA 22201
- SmarTrip logo is a registered trademark of WMATA.