Fare to ride ART must be paid when boarding the bus. Fares can be paid with cash, a SmarTrip card, 7 Day Regional Bus Pass (loaded on SmarTrip), gold ART token, or a green iRide token (teens only).
- Regular cash fare: $1.75
- Regular fare with SmarTrip® card: $1.75
- Children under five: Free
- Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington employees with hospital ID ride free on ART 51 and ART 52 only
Customers using SmarTrip cards get free or discounted transfers within a two-hour time period. ART does not issue or accept paper transfers.
- Transfer from ART to ART or ART to/from Metrobus with SmarTrip card: Free
- Transfer from Metrorail to ART or ART to Metrorail with SmarTrip card: $0.50 discount
- Without a SmarTrip card, transfers require full fare
- Gold ART full-fare tokens and Metrobus tokens are accepted as full fare.
- With MetroAccess photo ID card: All ART rides are free.
- Senior citizens and people with disabilities with Senior SmarTrip card or proper ID: $0.85. The discounted fare will automatically be charged with a Senior/Disabled SmarTrip card. Senior citizens can also show any ID that shows their date of birth. Seniors and people with disabilities can show a Medicare card.
- Transfer from ART to ART or ART to/from Metrobus with SmarTrip: Free
- Transfer from Metrorail to ART or ART to Metrorail with SmarTrip: $0.50 discount
iRide Teen Discount
- Teens receive an $0.85 discounted fare when paying with cash, a green iRide token or a Student iRide SmarTrip card. Students must have a middle or high school ID if paying by cash.
- More about iRide
Where to Buy
- SmarTrip cards are available at The Commuter Store®, Mobile Commuter Store, or online at CommuterDirect.com®
- SmarTrip cards and passes can be purchased at select CVS pharmacies and Giant Food stores. Search for a location near you.
- iRide tokens for teens must be purchased in person at The Commuter Store