STAR Severe Weather Policy
During a major weather event, STAR will follow the federal Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Operating Status decisions for the District of Columbia.
If OPM issues a decision before working hours to close offices for the day:
- All rides will be canceled with the exception of dialysis clients, and
- The STAR Call Center will be closed.
If OPM issues a decision to open federal government offices two hours late then:
- All rides before 10:00 a.m. will be canceled with the exception of dialysis clients, and
- The STAR Call Center will open two hours late, at 9:00 a.m.
If OPM issues a decision to close federal government offices early, then:
- STAR will try to return all clients that had scheduled trips home in the system. STAR will try to transport dialysis clients on schedule. Other rides originating from home will be canceled.
- The STAR Call Center will close two hours after the federal government offices close.
On weekends and holidays, if service must be reduced, a STAR Alert be sent and the Call Center phone line message will be updated. Sign-up for STAR Alerts to receive service information via free text message or email.